Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Papa and his taxi

Yesterday night, the postman to our flat and my sister signed for a letter designated to my father. It was a letter from his taxi company. Apparently, my father's taxi agreement with the company was to be ceased. He have to return his taxi 2 weeks later. There were no reasons stated for the cessation of the taxi agreement which left all of us puzzled. My dad seemed to take it quite well and he still joked that he can retire now. However, deep down in my heart, I worried for him.
I can still remember when I was 8 years old, my father came home one day and said he lost his job. But later, he found a new job as a taxi driver. I still remember I was crying when I knew about it. Since I was young and naive, I thought becoming a taxi driver meant that he would have to leave us. However, he still came home every night though sometimes he had to work late.
My dad is a hardworking man. He gets up at 7am without fail, rain or shine, every single day till night falls. He works even though it's Chinese New Year. He literally knows every single road in Singapore. I call him the 'road directory'. He has seen through his first taxi to the fourth one this year. I still remember me and my sister would pose with his taxi to take photographs. His recent taxi, a Hyundai Sonata was his pride. He would often tell me his ride is so comfortable and luxurious now. He maintains it well and keeps it clean all the time. The taxi was also a necessity. As my sister was often sick, he would ferry my sister to the hospital in his taxi. Sometimes, he would also wait for me at my workplace to bring me home after his work. Being a taxi driver was his livelihood. He has been one for almost 16 years of his life.
Recieving one such letter could crush any spirit. He was the sole breadwinner and recieving such a letter meant how he could feed his family, how he could pay for my sister's medical bills, and thinking what other kinds of jobs he could work without any qualifications. I don't know what went through my father's mind last night and it hurts my heart.
I wrote this so that I would not forget how I am feeling this instance. I want to remember not to take my father for granted. I want to remember what I have today, besides knowing God is my ultimate Provider, that my father worked hard for his family with his humble taxi. When my father is old and fragile, I will not throw him away. When he no longer can work with his hands and feet, I will be his.

1 comment:

  1. Well written and heart-felt.
    I pray it has worked out since then for you and your father.

    ReplyDelete