Friday, March 5, 2010

Week 1

I've survived Week 1 in school! I don't know why lessons here are not packed like sardines as compared to Singapore. When I was in NYP, there were lectures and tutorials one after another from 8am to 5pm. And I literally had classes everyday then.
Here in uni, I've got 8hrs of tuition distributed in 3 school days per week. I had one unit exempted because of my diploma. That explains why my tuition hours are so little but still?! With alot of spare time on hand, I try to use it meaningfully.
I think I'm more mature now than I was in poly. I used to sleep alot in class and do alot of last minute preparations for exams which in case you were wondering, they were futile. My 'hard' work didn't pay off because I wasn't serious about revising nor getting good grades.
For my first week in uni, I realised I'm actually keen to study. I listened intently (really) during classes. I did my pre reading and tutorial work before class and when i got home, I would spend some time revising and applying what I've learned to my previous nursing experiences.
Somehow, the teaching method here in Aussie differs from Singapore. The lecturer engages her audience with alot of questions. The Caucasians are the ones raising their hands and giving answers and asking questions, never Asians. However, you would see us scurrying to the lecturer after class, bombarding her with tons of questions that we should have ask but were too shy to ask during class. I guess it's the culture we were bred in.
I think it requires a lot of discipline and hard work to survive in a tertiary school setting. If I'm going to be sluggish and complacent in my school work, I'm quite sure I will not do well.
This week, I'm thankful for being back to school. It seems so surreal to be here. Nonetheless, I'm enjoying my classes and am still getting used to my lecturers' Aussie accents.
And I pray that I will not waste the time here, but make it a most meaningful and fruitful learning experience.
Till then, take care mate!

No comments:

Post a Comment